Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Weathered

Three days until retirement! 

In case you are curious - I chose Weathered for the title of my blog because it seems a simple word for where I feel I am in my life today.

The definition of weathered intended for this blog: come safely through (a storm). As in "the sturdy boat had weathered the storm well.

Weathered is also a synonym for the words seasoned, expert, versed in. I am seasoned. I am well versed in human resources because I have read (and plan to stop!!) extensively to keep abreast of what is happening legally and culturally in the working world to keep people safe in the workplace (emotionally and physically).

Reaching the point, at 66 years young, to retire feels like I've safely come through the storm of working for others for a living. Now, I look forward to making different choices each day - driven by my own desires instead of by an employers’ or employees’ needs. No regrets. I have enjoyed serving others through my work.

I have mostly loved working. COVID-19 depleted my reserves. The pandemic also reminded me that life is short, and I've devoted my life to carrying for others. I know there is no magic wand that will stop me from caring for others. Now, I’ll do it without a paycheck. I'll do it because it continues to bring me a sense of satisfaction.

When I began fantasizing about retirement in early 2021, I thought how luxurious it would feel to wake up each morning and decide what my day or week would look like without the need to go to an office to take care of other people's needs. 

Overall, I’ve weathered life well in the workplace and with most of my faculties intact. I look forward to more weathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...