Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Savannah (Day 29 Road Trip)

 We were close to Georgia on this trip. I have always wanted to go to Savannah. So, we came to Savannah. I knew I was not up for a day long walking tour so we opted for a 90-minute Trolley Tour that could last a day if we chose to explore each of the stops further. It’s a hop-on and hop-off tour.

I snapped photos from the open-air trolley. Our morning was beautiful (later in the day we had a thunderstorm with lightning). Joe asked me if Savannah was what I expected and I told him I felt the vibe of Savannah I experienced when reading books with the city in it. In the books I’ve read, Savannah feels like a character in the story and not as a setting. The people we met in the city were kind and helpful. From the woman who directed us to park our car in a free garage at the tour site to the woman checking us in for the tour (we pre-bought tickets online) to the trolley conductor. After the trolley tour, I sat in the Savannah Visitor’s Bureau and read while Joe toured the History Museum.

Side view of Cathedral Basilica of St. John

1 of the 22 Squares still in existence in Savannah. We saw Franklin Square, Telfair Square, Calhoun Square, Columbia Square Chippewa Square and Wright Square.  

Telfair Museum of Art

This vintage shop caught my eye because of the colorful boots used as planters at East and Up. 

While the Spanish moss looks beautiful, our guide warned us not to touch the moss because chiggers live in it. I was surprised to learn that Spanish moss is not really a moss and that if handled properly it has medicinal uses.

There is more than one way to get around the city.

Lewis Kayton House (aka Mansion on Forsyth Park) is now a historic five-star hotel. The home was built from 1888 to 1889. At 18,000 sq.ft. Joe and I agreed we would not want to live in the place (all I could think about was cleaning it). It was a funeral home in 1953, which lasted for over fifty years.

I snapped this photo because the home looked pretty with the potted flowers on the steps.

A ship entering the Port of Savannah.

In the early afternoon we came back to Port Wentworth and took naps and then went out for an early dinner at Milan Grill and Bar. Joe and I agreed it was the very best restaurant meal since the trip started.

End of the day we ate Pecan Cobbler with ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohio Road Trip

Joe and I got on the road at 5:20am this morning and arrived in Defiance, Ohio at 8:15pm (7:15pm Central Time). About ten minutes before we ...