Sunday, June 18, 2023

Father's Day (Road Trip Day 82)

Joe has now rescued three turtles in the last couple of days. As we are driving around the Coldwater area, we keep our eyes peeled for deer and turtles. If a turtle is on the road, Joe pulls over and carries them to the other side of the road – in the direction the turtle is facing. It makes Joe happy. Not to sure how the turtles feel about it.

We see deer regularly. So far, they have been far enough away from the road to not be of concern. I am told they can move fast though. Usually, they are busy eating plants in a field. Since we can see them, we would see if they were about to bolt into the roadway. They glance up at us and go back to their feast.

This morning we went to the town of Coldwater to do our weekly laundry. We now know what folks do in Coldwater on Sunday morning. They go to the laundromat.

Then we stopped to pick up some groceries for dinner this evening.

We also took a nap and did some tidying up. A very kick back day.  I took time sit quietly in the yard and reflect on my dad. He died in December 1989. I miss him.

I also took time while reminiscing to recognize how blessed I have been to have Joe help to parent Megan. I respect my husband for his devotion to his children over the years. Many days it was a tough job in a blended family, still Joe was always a steady presence for all of us. We could count on him.

This is my favorite photo of my dad. It was taken by my cousin-in-law, Joan Davis.

 


My view during my early afternoon reflection - looking into a neighbor's yard

My brother, Todd, and his wife, Cindy, brought my oldest brother, Kenny, along with them for dinner here at the cottage. Another wonderful visit. Kenny is just 14 months younger than me. He retired from Cooper’s Farms, Oakwood, several years ago. He told me today that he enjoys retirement because he can get up in the morning whenever he wants. This morning he had an online class early and then he fell asleep in his recliner after the class. He said if he had a job, it would complicate his life. I am beginning to understand this for myself. I fell asleep in my lawn chair in the yard earlier today.

Todd grilled bratwurst – they tasted INCREDIBLE. He left the leftovers with us. We also had grilled onions and green peppers and sauerkraut for the bratwurst. Add potato salad, coleslaw, and watermelon and it was quite the feast.

Tomorrow we will visit with more people and have new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....