Sunday, September 1, 2024

Am I Becoming Anti-Social?

 



Does anyone else ever think they are on sensory overload?

This past month, on a daily basis, I find myself wanting to avoid all social media and my email. The emails from both political parties requesting donations average twenty to twenty-five requests daily. At this point I have donated where I planned, and I am done. All new solicitation emails are automatically deleted. I tried to unsubscribe from one and they wanted a donation to unsubscribe. It wears me out!

I do not use X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram only updates if something I wrote on Facebook links to it. With no effort on my part, it is haphazard what Facebook sends to Instagram. I do not care. I felt a bit frustrated when Facebook took down a post with a link to my blog last  week. Fortunately, it was only on one link, so far.

If I didn’t love seeing photos of family and friends and reading about everyone’s successes, I would skip checking Facebook. I do appreciate the Messenger alerts from family and friends with funny reels and sweet memes.

The rest of it can feel to me like noise. Noise that exhausts my happy spirit.

Maybe it is all of the ads on Facebook that contribute to sensory overload. Right now, my Facebook page ads are all about pregnancy. My daughter’s not mine! (Thank you, Jesus! Sixty-eight and motherhood would not work for me. I am happy when I can dress and feed myself let alone take care of a sweet baby). Maternity clothes, breastfeeding supplies, and diapers are sandwiched in among Threads which I HATE. Yes, HATE Threads. I rarely hate anything. I hate the new Threads popping up on my Facebook feed. The Threads belong to people I have never met. After getting sucked into reading one or two, I would not ever read them again.

Maybe venting on my blog will help me move past my general frustration with social media. Let’s hope so. I prefer living in a relaxed and happy state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...