Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Tuesday Thoughts

Joe looked for radish seeds today and it seems that stores send back unsold packets of seeds at the end of the growing season. My uncle Dick suggested we grow radishes in September as he does successfully in Ohio. I ended up ordering the seeds from Amazon with delivery tomorrow. Joe planted fava beans last week (the nitrogen the beans produce is great for the soil), and they have begun to sprout. Our indoor lemon tree has a lemon growing on it!

Joe and I did errands this morning. The first stop was Walgreens as today was Senior Day and we could save 20% on anything in the store that was at the regular price. Next, we hit a local meat store to check out their offerings. We purchased a beef pot pie to try. If we like their pot pie, I will add a couple to our freezer for those days that we are busy and want to pop something in the oven.

We came home and did chores. Joe got a call that a part he ordered for his chain saw was in at Runnings in Monticello. He also wanted to buy a leaf blower. I am just grateful that our neighborhood is quiet most of the time, so leaf blowers do not drive me crazy here. To be fair, I think the people on our block are at church on Sunday morning, so they aren’t running their blowers as one of our California neighbors liked to do. I really enjoy Sunday morning quiet – it is different than other mornings, even in retirement.

Well, if we are going to go to Monticello to Runnings, we might as well stop at Home Depot in Monticello. So, we did. Then on the way back to our house we drove right by ACE Hardware. Of course we didn’t drive by – we stopped. I am usually the chauffeur on our errand days. I could say no. Not that I ever would. Now that Joe is not in a machine shop each day, he is happiest when he can roam around in a hardware store.

The irony is he is usually a “let me go in fast and get what I need kind of guy.” This is true of Costco and Cub. In fact, Joe is the quickest Costco shopper I have ever known. Hardware stores? Not so much. He is going for a specific item or two; however, he usually browses a bit as well. I just read in the car while he ‘shops.’

Joe is spending the afternoon prepping the ground area where the last two raised garden beds will reside. I made enchilada sauce for the chicken enchiladas I plan to cook tomorrow. The sauce is the best enchilada sauce I have ever eaten and that includes at Mexican Restaurants. I am looking forward to tasting the enchiladas tomorrow night.

This morning, before we went off on our errands, it was fun to see so many “first day of school” photos on Facebook. Minnesota and Ohio family and friends had posts. Two weeks ago, California friends were sharing their first day of school pictures. There is something exciting about the first day of school each fall that pleases my soul. This year I got to experience the excitement twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...