Saturday, October 12, 2024

Please Be Right Terry Pratchett

Tens of thousands of Evangelicals marched in support of Donald Trump in Washington DC today. It seemed appropriate to drag out a favorite Terry Pratchett quote to offset my anxiety over this election and what it means for us as a nation.

I do not want to live in a nation that is ruled by evangelicals who believe Trump is God’s chosen candidate. He is not a decent or honest person. Why would any God choose an indecent, cruel, and dishonest man to lead us? I will scream if I see, one more time, the words "You don't have to love a candidate to vote for him" in my Facebook feed. It is not about love, it is about respect.

While I do not want to take the Evangelicals seriously, I don't think we are supposed to bury our head in the sand. It is exceedingly difficult for me to believe the ideas shared during today's march. "Don't Mess with Our Kids: an anti-LGBTQ activist group claims that library books, public school teachers, and pop culture are tricking children into changing genders. One woman told a reporter she is concerned her ten-month-old grandson will grow up in a nation where he's pressured to identify as a girl. I can't even think how our public-school teachers have somehow become the culprits. Educators are already overworked, saddled with the responsibility of teaching children how to survive a school shooting, and in the event of an active shooter situation trying to keep children alive.

We cannot ban automatic or semi-automatic guns or enact legislation to keep guns out of the hands of certain people. Now we have people vilifying teachers for a non-existent problem? WTF.

I have to go meditate to lower my blood pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooler Temperatures and Celebrating Tools

Fall colors in our backyard! We have had cooler temperatures - in the fifties - today. The first frost is expected tonight. By the end of th...