Thursday, January 26, 2023

A Day in the Life of a Retired Couple

 We are staying busy these days with work around the house – both inside and outside. Today Joe worked on getting a final coat of paint on the top trim of the eastern side of the house. This is ladder work so I sat in the sunshine watching him. Prior to the sunshine I was deep cleaning the master bathroom. Yes, we know how to have fun! Can’t be all movies and reading around here.

After the painting, we drove over to Main Street CafĂ© and shared a sausage and wild mushroom pizza and a Caesar salad. Next stop was Tia Judith Confections to try a lemon custard tart and a scone (yes, cutting sugar out of my diet is on hold this week). We ended our outing with a stop at Ace Hardware for cement as Joe discovered two fence posts that needed repair in one corner of the yard. He’s out in the yard fixing the posts right now.

As I was sitting in the sunshine earlier, I realized how much I love living in the moment. There is no worry that we need to hurry to get something done because we only have a weekend to get our projects accomplished. I have a calendar to keep track of commitments but we can easily plan around appointments like taking  or picking a friend up at the airport (one of our friends leaves for Alaska tomorrow morning and another arrives from Arizona on Monday morning), or going to complete our TSA approvals, or going to Winters to pick up our wine and cheese club releases.  

Joe has lists of items to accomplish and we are still in the throes of inventorying (Joe) and valuing (me) all of Joe’s tools. I keep my to do list in my head. Joe worries we won’t get everything done before we take off in early March for a week or so to visit friends and family in Northern California and Oregon. I know we will get it all done because we have already accomplished a lot since January 6th. When I pointed that out to him he told me he will worry anyway because that’s what he does.

To help spur us to stay focused we have scheduled an All House Inspection and a Pest Inspection for next week. We wanted to get these done to help us identify problem areas we just aren’t seeing as we have lived in this house for thirty years (less our year in Egypt). The inspections will also help us to decide what to repair or hire out to be repaired in the next 60 days.

To the people who expressed concern that I would be bored in retirement: I am not the least bit bored, I feel energized!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...