Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Sometimes You Need to Get Uncomfortable to Get Comfortable

 My mother used to say, “When you get sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will do something about it.”  She said this to herself as much as she said it to others, including me.

Took me a long time to figure out that when we are looking for a change it will only happen when we are ready to make the change in ourselves. And in my brain mom’s words played havoc with my father’s favorite saying, “Don’t be a quitter.”

So, like most choices in  life there is a fine balance between knowing when to quit and move on or to stick with whatever you’ve been doing. Add to that the judgment of others and it’s a wonder more people aren’t paralyzed with fear.

The one lesson I learned about myself, many years ago, is that I exhibit a tendency to wait too long to quit activities that do me more harm than good. My mother told me numerous times I was born stubborn (though I like the word tenacious – it sounds strong, robust, and positive).

I wanted my first marriage to last forever as I had vowed to marry for life. I stayed in the marriage because I thought if I just worked at being a better wife than he would love me. Instead, he got angrier and angrier until I chose to remove my daughter and myself from an environment that did not serve either of us. This choice made room in my life to marry Joe Coehlo. Excellent choice! Years later a therapist told me that working harder to please someone who doesn’t love you is counterproductive. Her words of wisdom were, “You need more tools in your arsenal. Working harder has been a valuable tool and it works for many challenges in life. Let’s help you develop more tools for different situations.” The good news is that by my making the decision to end marriage number one, my then husband was able to meet someone he could love. Everyone won. At the time, leaving the marriage, with a two-year old child, was scary.

Over the years, I held onto jobs far too long. And each and every time I made the decision to move on – it ended up being the best thing for me (and for my family).

Peeling back and examining long-held beliefs has also afforded me opportunities for growth and much of the time the experience was ‘uncomfortable.’

When I made the decision to retire, I heard both dad’s and mom’s voices in my head. This time mom won. I was worn out from doing too much (we have already established this was my work style and not on anyone else). Twelve days of retirement and I know this was the best decision for me.

Now I am going to have more time to create the life I want.

1 comment:

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...