Thursday, February 2, 2023

Plumber Joe



I washed windows today and read a novel for a bit. Joe meanwhile was replacing plumbing to the sink in the master bathroom. He has an incredible amount of patience in dealing with parts that are no longer made. Other than grunts as he moved in an enclosed space, he was being incredibly patient.

After our all-house inspection, yesterday, Joe decided to work on a few of the suggestions in the report. Nothing major on the face of it except it seems most plumbing jobs turn into numerous trips to the hardware store. Unfortunately, due to supply chain issues – he often has to go to multiple hardware stores to get the items he needs. I also think I saw him buy a tool for the job.

We are in the midst of inventorying eleven (11) rolling carts of tools and he bought a tool. We are only on cart number 4 and have 354 entries. A few of those lines include descriptions like ’Shop Made Deburring Tools 14’ or ‘HSS Toll Bits (Assorted) Quantity 24.’  I am learning loads more about tools (I learned about tools from my dad, my first husband was a machinist, and Joe is a machinist) than I ever thought I would need. In the past I substitute taught in a construction class at a high school – I aced the tool test the students took on one of those occasions. I am sure the universe is preparing me for something more in life and tools are related.

Our next major project is a fence repair. It was supposed to be fixed three years ago; however, our neighbor we share the fence with wanted to do it himself to save money. We finally told him in January it had to be done in February. We got quotes, he got quotes and he decided to put in for vacation and with Joe’s help they will begin work on it within the next two weeks. Joe’s built other fences on our property so fairly sure he already has the tools for the project.

One of the inspection recommendations is to install handrails on our 3 steps leading down to our backyard patio. The report reads, “we recommend installing handrails on steps that have three or more risers, particularly if children or the elderly visit or occupy the property.” None of our three kids (Megan was 2 when we moved in) have ever fallen down those steps. As I recall Megan at two managed just fine (one of her favorite activities was digging in the dirt in the backyard) – Joe even installed a door handle at her height so she could go in and out without help. As for the elderly, we could take them out through the garage side door which has two steps down.

Joe and I love our home. It has been perfect for rearing our children and we have found the set-up entertainment friendly. As we are preparing the house for rental and eventual sale, Joe has been sharing with me what he would like in our next home: Brick exterior, Built in the last several years, heated pole barn or extra large garage area (heated). He won’t miss working with old electrical and plumbing issues.

Tonight, he mentioned that he might find a part time job in a plumbing business. As if we are not keeping him busy enough with our own plumbing issues. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you might be Ethel & Fred, now. ❤

    ReplyDelete

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....