Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Valentine's Day

 


Valentine’s Day is nothing special at our house. Say, what? Nope. Our goal has always been to appreciate and love each other every day of the year. In the early days we would buy cards and then tossed them so we decided not to buy cards anymore.

Every day we practice showing our love for each other. We say please and thank you when we need  assistance with a task. This past year, Joe changed his work schedule so that he went to work after me. Every workday he would walk me to the car, open the door for me, and hand me my seat belt. On colder mornings he would go out and warm up the car for me.

Even when it shouldn’t matter at all what I think about something he wants to do around the house or plant in the yard, he comes to ask me to take a look with him because he needs to talk it out. And I go even if I don’t care what he wants to do. Because he asks and his asking means he cares. I am sure he may feel the same way when I want to review our family budget or go over plans for an upcoming trip. He listens because he understands it is my desire to be transparent with him.

Throughout our almost 29 years of marriage, Joe has been my rock. I can always count on him. Tonight, when we stopped at the store, I wanted something sweet (other than fruit), so he bought me some ice cream AND a dark chocolate candy bar with caramel and sea salt. I shared the candy with him.

Joe’s actions and words make me feel cherished.

Maybe I should rephrase the opening sentence to read, “Every day is Valentine’s Day at our house.”

1 comment:

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...