Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Mail Thoughts

 


I have a thing for mail. Each day I look forward to getting the mail – even though it’s mostly junk and goes into the paper recycle bin. We no longer get mail of value very often as all of the credit and utility bills are electronic. The only physical bill I get is our supplemental insurance and it’s set up for automatic payment each month. The City of Woodland and Pacific Gas and Electric still mail me supplemental information though about usage compared to prior years. Since they send the bills electronically, I am not sure why they send the reports through the mail. DMV registration documents and drivers’ licenses still come in the mail. I recently opted in to get DMV renewal notices via email My recently renewed passport came via U.S. mail.

I love getting mail! My favorite mail over the years have been letters from nieces or nephews (school projects – write a letter to someone in another state) and a request from my great-nephew, Tatum, a few years back to help with a school assignment by providing information on California. Oh, and don’t forget Christmas cards!! Cards are a fun treat.

I have never understood why people don’t process their mail daily. The people who let the mail sit in their mailbox for days must have incredible restraint. For me it’s a matter of, “It has my name on it. I need to look at it and take care of it right away.” While growing up in Ney, Ohio one of us had to walk down the street to the post office to retrieve mail from our box (P.O. Box 102). As an adult, I’d visit my mom and sister and they’d wait a week before collecting their mail. Before they finally moved to town (Bryan), they were getting warning notices from the post office as the time between trips had extended to a few weeks and the box was too full to put more mail into it.

As is my nature, I got to wondering why getting mail makes me happy and so I Googled “the psychology of mail.” Unbelievably there is actually information on it. I am not doing a deep dive – just a cursory glance and came across several references to how a piece of mail usually starts with an elongated, several minute relationship with the recipient while handling it and deciding whether to open it or not. The mail piece can engage many senses – touch, scent, and vision. Then there is the process of opening which is an interaction. In general engagement with mail is more positive and memorable than with email.

The desire to engage us  explains why we still get our Raley’s ads in the mail each week. Marketing experts contend that it is too easy for readers to delete or skip over electronic ads. When we have the ads in our hands, though, we may stop and check for sales.  I know Joe and I read it each week.

I think I read our newspaper more thoroughly when it was delivered to the door. Now it’s online and I kind of just skim over the few articles that spark my interest. I no longer read the comics which were my favorite part, along with Dear Abby, for decades. The comics simply don’t interest me in digital form. Maybe my brain has been warped by memes. Or maybe not holding onto a piece of paper has caused me to lose the connection with my sense of humor.

1 comment:

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....