Saturday, March 4, 2023

Of Mice and Men - A Dash of Elk


We started our day with a lovely breakfast with our hosts (more on them at a later date) and then off at 10:00am to visit with our nephew and Steve’s son, Nate Van Amburg. What a blessing Nate is to our family! His passion for nature, his desire to continually learn, and his wish to help other’s seek joy, combine to create a vibrant energy. He admits it’s been an uphill journey for him, at times, and that he’s made mistakes over the years. Those situations became opportunities for him to grow and develop into the person he is today.

We enjoyed great conversation around abundance mentality, gifts of the universe, and positive beliefs. Nate has multiple talents including leading river rafting trips and fishing excursions that provide people with opportunities to safely enjoy nature.

While we have not had the opportunity to travel with Nate yet, our friends have and speak highly of his skills. Nate’s passion for nature is authentic and he speaks of the magic and humor of what nature offers mankind.

Today I had my first taste of Elk. Nate shared his hunting story with Joe and me before we ate the ground elk burger. As I ate my sandwich I could picture the elk in the snow on a moonlit night. It made me stop and reflect on if I have ever thought of how food makes its way to my table.

 I did get a bit squeamish today when Nate’s cat brought a mouse into the house and dropped it at our feet. I hate mice with a passion. The mouse was still alive. It ran off and the cat chase was on. Joe teased me a bit about how I maintained my calm. Long story short, I am not sure what happened to that mouse. I am pretty sure though all of the conversation around nature and karma may have changed my perspective a bit. 



 







No comments:

Post a Comment

My Perfect Birthday

Turning sixty-eight years old is no big deal. I woke up this morning feeling better than I felt before I retired at sixty-six years old. Ret...