Saturday, April 1, 2023

Gilbert, Arizona (Day 4 of US Trip; Day 1 of Gilbert)

 

The view from Elizabeth's & Dave's backyard (April 2019) in Gilbert, Arizona

Today was a maintenance day. For the car and for our mental health. We arrived in Gilbert, AZ earlier than anticipated so had a late breakfast at The Farmhouse Restaurant, went to Jiffy Lube for our Subaru Outback’s 10,000-mile oil change, and then found the public library to catch up on some financial paperwork and enjoy the ambience of the indoors (we both love books) before heading over to our friends’ home shortly where we will spend the next 10 days. We are very excited to visit them!

The parts of Gilbert we have seen this morning are pristine. It was 60 degrees out at 10:00am. A long way from 17 degrees in the Grand Canyon, yesterday morning. My friend Kim and I stayed with Elizabeth and Dave in April of 2019, and I felt then like I was at a 5 Star Resort. Joe and I had plans to come to Gilbert in April 2020 and then COVID-19 restrictions pushed the visit back. Three years later we are here!

Elizabeth and I worked together for eight years, more closely the past several years. Dave, her spouse, also worked with the company for a couple of years before I retired at the end of December 2022. They are both more extroverted than Joe and I which means that we never lack conversation. Joe and I both like talking about our interests and they are both good listeners and great at sharing their own lives and experiences.

Now that Dave is retired (for the second time – the first time from the law enforcement field) he has more time to pursue his passion for Civil Air Patrol duties and theater work among other interests. Elizabeth is still working though she purposefully makes time for travel. They just got back from Europe in time to host us in their home. The past few years they have split their time between Woodland, California and Gilbert, Arizona. Elizabeth works off-site as much as possible; however, lab work happens in Woodland. When they are in Woodland, we find ways to spend time together!

I enjoy nature and the past three days have been lovely. Today though I am looking forward to hanging out with Elizabeth and Dave and visiting with other friends in the coming days. I have several goals for this trip, one is connection. After COVID-19 restrictions it feels amazing to be out and about and seeing people I haven’t ever met face-to-face because we met through forums of some type or haven’t seen for many years (family) but have managed to stay in touch through Facebook.

I am writing my blog early in the day today because my plan is to spend time away from the computer the rest of the day.

I wish you an amazing and relaxing Saturday. Whatever that may look like for you.


2 comments:

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...