Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Maine (Road Trip Day 49)

We drove from Andover, Massachusetts to Ellsworth, Maine today. Waze was set to avoid toll roads and meander on less travelled roads, we took 5 ½ hours with several stops to get to the Branch Lake Camping Area. This is a privately owned campground on a lake. Our tent site is within about 100 feet of the lake.

When I was in high school back in the early 1970’s I wanted to move to Maine, go to college here, and write the great American novel. Instead, I married at 18 years old and moved to California. Maine has been on my bucket list for over 50 years.

Here I am. 

Why Ellsworth? I worked with Sharon Lovejoy for 7 years at Hygieia Biological Laboratories – the job I retired from this past December. She moved to Ellsworth Maine in June 2022 and began sending me photos of the area. She also posted videos of daily hikes near her home on Facebook. When we began our trip, I knew I wanted to come to the area and to see Sharon and her husband, Ben Pyle. We met this evening for dinner at a local Asian restaurant and ate loads of great sushi. Their son, Alex Pyle, accompanied them. Alex is a high school sophomore this year. I met Alex when he was about eight years old, and he came to Hygieia and helped us stuff envelopes.  At the time, Sharon relayed to me that Alex thought my name was Death (not Beth). I’ll always treasure that story.  Death is one of my favorite Terry Pratchett characters in the Discworld series.

We had an enjoyable visit tonight. Sharon, Ben, and Joe share a love for nature, biology, chickens, and gardening to name just a few topics. I could sit and listen to all three of them for hours. Alex is turning out to be astute about the same matters.

After dinner we headed out to Momo’s Cheesecakes. Momo’s is a self-serve honor system cheesecake and candy store. Sharon had written to me about it last year when she discovered the store, and I included it in the Hygieia newsletter. I knew that a trip to Ellsworth would not be complete without a trip to Momo’s.

I hadn’t seen Smokey the bear in years. He’s been hanging out in Maine.

Check out the healthy snack advisory sign.

The lake next to our campsite

Our campsite

Sharon and me at Mimi’s

Joe and Ben 

Strawberry rhubarb cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....