Monday, May 8, 2023

New Carrollton, Maryland (Road Trip Day 41)

When we feel the need to recharge, we have found that in addition to camping, our go to place is a library. We had intended to go to the Smithsonian over the next couple of days. Instead, we both find no desire to tackle the parking issue and deal with my bum right leg. We found the New Carrollton Library in New Carrollton, Maryland and have decided to charge our laptops, Joe’s iPad, and our phones as the campground does not have electricity except in the bathrooms. I’d rather hang out in a library than a campground bathroom for a few hours.

The library sits in a residential neighborhood with a greenbelt at the main entrance. The driveway to the library snakes around with the back of the building on the main street in. A tranquil area. The first photo is from the internet and the second photo is one I took to give you an idea of the view from the entry at the library.


We had light rain last night and again this morning. We stayed dry in our tent. This morning on our way to the library we stopped at Lowe’s and purchased a heavy-duty tarp and a small rug. After multiple trips to the bathroom during the rain we found we had a dirty tent floor.

Several people have asked me what my favorite part of the trip has been so far. I have not been able to answer this question with one highlight. Upon reflection though I have concluded the following:

·        The time in the car with Joe is always a blessing for me. Whether it is us talking about a topic in the news, rehashing our visits with people, my giving him background on the people he is about to meet, listening to a podcast, or simply trying to figure out how to correct the wrong turn just made – it is ALL good.

·        The places I like best are the ones that people share with us that they enjoy. From the Roden’s taking us to Covert Bailey’s home at the base of Superstition Mountain to the drive through the North Carolina Appalachian Mountains with MD and RD it has all meant more to me than the Grand Canyon. I cannot rank anyone better than another – the special places have been entwined with conversations and time with the people I wanted to connect with on the trip. Here is my list so far of events I have thoroughly enjoyed (and if I have left something out, I apologize – we’ve done a lot over the past 41 days):

o   Getting lost, we call it going on an adventure, with my cousins Tammy and Kent in Alabama.

o   Checking out the lakefront property of my cousins Teresa and Johnny in Texas.

o   Watching my husband dance at a senior’s dance in Arizona on a Wednesday afternoon.

o   The potlucks in Arizona and the one in Lufkin where I got to meet new friends and family members.

o   Meeting my friend Susan and her husband and eating at a bar that John Wayne dined in while filming in the area.

o   Meeting up with my family in South Carolina, having a meal together, and getting to know them each a bit better.

o   Attending the quilt meeting in Alabama.

o   The Tryon Palace with Jean in North Carolina and dinner with her family.

o   Watching my husband rescue turtles.

o   Chilling out in libraries.

Going to the Smithsonian seems like a good thing to do and I know we would probably enjoy it. However, our desire to just sit in nature and not deal with traffic today seems like the best choice for us. We have talked about it and neither of us feels the museum is a must do. We agreed we’d do it someday by flying to Washington, staying in the closest hotel possible, and renting Uber to get to the museums will probably make it more worthwhile.

While talking with Jean on the phone yesterday morning, she made a comment that resonated with me. I’ll paraphrase here. “My grandkids enjoyed meeting you. Joe’s playing basketball with them. You were helping them make precious memories. Someday they will talk about the time that Nana’s friends came from California to visit.”

Yes, that is the purpose of this trip, to make connections which will turn into precious memories for some of us. I am feeling blessed by the abundant goodwill of the people we have visited so far. It’s not buildings or mountains I will remember. I think of Maya Angelou’s quote: “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Everyone has made us feel welcome.

On the way to the library this morning we came across another turtle in the road. A smaller one this time! Joe rescued it, of course.

Turtle Rescue #2 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending Money or YOLO

  As if I needed a reminder that I am getting old and crotchety AND acting from a place of privilege. This morning, I read a blog on Medium ...