Saturday, June 24, 2023

Family Fish Fry (Road Trip Day 88)

It was laundry day! We sure do know how to have a good time.

Truth: Laundry wasn’t nearly as fun as having our family all together today for a visit. While it got quite warm, we were mostly comfortable outside for the day. Family members started arriving at noon and we sat outside under the big tree in the cottage’s yard. We ate at around 5:00 pm and the last person left at around 8:30 pm.

The food was great. My brothers, Jeff and Todd, along with my nephew, Mitch, deep fried 300 pieces of Crappie, Blue Gill, and Perch. (Of which I helped by eating 8 pieces). The pieces ranged in size from 6 inches to 10 inches. Family members brought sides to share and included a make your own salad, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fruit salad, a salsa dip and nacho chips, cucumber salad, gluten free chocolate cake with a chocolate filling and vanilla frosting, homemade ice cream, strawberry pie with whipped cream, and fruity pebbles marshmallow treats. The Karnes know how to cook and eat!  

A list of family members in attendance today (I have written previously about most family members – the ones I haven’t written about, I will write a bit about):

Kenny Karnes (my brother, 13 months younger than me)

Mitch and Megan, Carol (Megan’s mom) – My sister Jeni’s oldest son. Jeni died in September 2019.

               Megan is Mitch’s wife. Joe and I attended their wedding in Gatlinburg, Tennessee in September of 2021. We had met Megan at past family get togethers (like funerals and weddings), so we had the opportunity to spend time with her and Mitch the day after their wedding. Megan helped Mitch to care for Mitch’s Uncle Rudy for many years. In addition to special physical needs that required him to be in a wheelchair, Uncle Rudy required dialysis. Sadly, Rudy passed away on June 7th at the age of 74. Megan is a caring, kind, and engaging person. Every family can use a Megan Bauer.

               Joe and I met Carol after the September 2021 wedding and enjoyed getting to know her. She recently began experiencing health issues and is living with Mitch and Megan while she recovers. I enjoy talking to Carol as she enjoys traveling, theater, and exudes an upbeat personality. When your kid marries into the family, you become family. An item on Carol’s bucket list is to visit the Winchester Mystery House in California.

Jason and Diana, Andrea, Nolan – Jason is Mitch’s younger brother (therefore, Jeni’s son). He and Diana are parents t0 Andrea (aged 3) and Nolan (9 months). Jason is not one for crowds, so I really appreciated him coming and spending time with the group today. He is looking forward to his new work position, he is moving from a supervisory role to a mechanical engineering role. Diana is a scientist and far more extroverted than Jason. One of the things I most appreciate about her is that she lets me hold and kiss on her children. Both Andrea and Nolan let me hold and kiss their sweet little faces. Andrea also played ‘tag’ with us and was totally cool about running behind our lawn chairs, touching our backs, and calling out ‘tag!” She would touch me on my right shoulder, and I could reach around and ‘tag’ her on the left as she ran behind me. I’ll bet she sleeps well tonight! Today was the first time they have had Nolan to a family gathering so it was a treat for us all to meet him.

Jeff, Kathy, Renee, Jami Karnes – Jeff is my youngest brother. He and his wife Kathy were the host and hostess for today. Renee and Jami worked their butts off today helping to set up and helped to clean up before we sent them on their way so they could beat the deer population back to Jami’s house in Paulding, Ohio.

Todd and Cindy Karnes, and Daniel – Todd is my baby brother (father to Courtney, Jacob, and Caity). Cindy is a full-time caregiver for Daniel and so he is also like family.

Courtney, Clayton, Tatum, Adaleigh (Addy), Joss, and Leisel – I have written quite a bit about them this week!

Jacob, Samantha, Daughter – I have written quite a bit about them earlier this week. Daughter was having fun with her new cousins!

Caity, Hunter, and Duncan (the dog) – We were delighted to see them again after our visit to them earlier this month. Yes, Duncan got to come to visit too!

As people arrived earlier in the day, I did a Messenger Video with my daughter, Megan, so she could say hi to her uncles, dad, and cousins. We were unable to connect later in the day when several family members came. She hopes to join us at future family gatherings.

I did not take a single picture. Not one. I did get lots of hugs though and that was worth a thousand pictures.

A photo of many family members in July 2019 at my sister's funeral:

Front row: Adaleigh (Addy), Tatum, Joss; Second row seated: Jeff, Kenny, Beth, Todd; Third row: Kathy, Renee, Megan Bauer, Cindy, Courtney, Leisel, Caity; Last row: Jami, Diana, Jason, Mitch, and Jacob.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...