Thursday, June 8, 2023

Mount Washington and Station Square (Road Trip Day 72)

We spent the late afternoon and early evening hours at lookout points on Mt. Washington and at Station Square in Pittsburgh with Denise and Jorge. Michael was working and then spending the evening with his girlfriend and her family.

Driving around Pittsburg is interesting as they have three rivers the Allegheny, the Monongahela, and the two rivers meet to form the Ohio River. The city has many bridges and tunnels necessary to get over the rivers. From Mt. Washington lookout we could see the baseball stadium and the football stadium along with the rivers, bridges, and the downtown area. I took a video of the view to share with you.


Denise snapped a photo of Joe and me with downtown Pittsburg in the background. I took a photograph from where Joe and I were standing at Mt. Washington lookout of bridges in the downtown area.



 We then drove to Station Square and explored part of the area. It was a beautiful evening for sitting in front of the dancing water fountain at Bessemer Court in the square. It was daylight while we were visiting. At night, the fountain has multicolored lights. The fountain plays over ten shows that last about 15 to 20 minutes from 9am to midnight from April through early November.


Joe enjoyed checking out the Clinton Steel Furnace on display between the fountains and the river. He likes to figure out how different items on display are made so he was in his element.

We then visited the Grand Concourse restaurant. I am sharing a video from this evening.


This staircase art the Grand Concourse reminds me of Cinderella.

We enjoyed happy hour and shared a sandwich at Gandy Dancer Saloon which is also in the Grand Concourse. I started chatting with a woman (maybe early seventies) while we sat at the bar. Sandy owned a CNC machine shop before she retired. Her son now runs the company. I introduced her to Joe and before you knew it, she was asking him to move to Pennsylvania instead and come to work for the family's business. We have the name and address of the company and were invited to tour it if we would like.

I also chatted with a husband and wife who came in toward the end of our stay. She was a retired middle school special education teacher. A saint. She is a saint. Middle school teachers are a special kind of wonderful. I know I did not have the patience for subbing in middle school classrooms.

On our way back to Denise and Jorge’s home we stopped at Scoops and More for ice cream. 

A perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending Money or YOLO

  As if I needed a reminder that I am getting old and crotchety AND acting from a place of privilege. This morning, I read a blog on Medium ...