Thursday, September 28, 2023

The Three R's - Rest, Relaxation, and Roald (Dahl)

Today was a day of physical rest. It gave me an opportunity to set medical, dental, eye care, and hearing test appointments for Joe and me with providers in the area. By mid-October we should have completed all the appointments. I am grateful that our medical insurance will cover all but the cost of hearing aides if we need them.

I didn’t even get out of bed for the day until 11:00am. Megan came down and talked to me for part of the time I was laying there. Eventually I realized that I wanted to get up and get phone calls made for appointments. I also updated all my bookkeeping tasks.

After listening to Hidden Brain Podcast from last year on mindset I decided to do more research into substitute teaching in Minnesota. After completing the orientation with Teachers on Call I was thinking/feeling that substituting might not be a good fit at this time in my life. It occurred to me that I might be talking myself out of something that I might enjoy. Next Tuesday evening I am meeting up with a current substitute to chat about her experiences and ask her questions that are important to me. I owe it to myself to dig a bit deeper.

Other than going upstairs, for dinner, I spent the day in our flat. As a treat I watched The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar on Netflix. It was certainly a treat! Loved the story and the film. The film is based on the story by Roald Dahl (one of my all-time favorite writers) and written for the screen by Wes Anderson. The cast is amazing with Ralph Fiennes as Roald Dahl (and a policeman) and Benedict Cumberbatch as Henry Sugar. Dev Patel, Ben Kingsley, and Richard Ayoade also have good parts. Megan recommended the 38-minute short film. She is a fan of both Dahl and Anderson.

During our trip I developed a pain in my right thigh. It comes and goes. It has hindered my step goal. I am hoping for another day or two of rest and I will get back to my daily step goal. Whenever I develop a pain, I figure it is short term and will heal itself. It is on my list to mention to my doctor in a few weeks if I am still experiencing pain. I do not remember any specific incident related to the pain. I suspect it is from sleeping in the car and in two different beds while on our trip.

Sleeping in our own bed with my weighted blanket was sublime last night. Which is why I was in no rush to leave the bed this morning. The last time I stayed in bed so long was in my early twenties on an occasional Saturday.

Tonight’s photo is from Megan of Pan. He enjoys sitting on one of the two landing areas on the steps to our flat. He was helping us by resting and relaxing as well.


I hope everyone reading this blog is doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohio Road Trip

Joe and I got on the road at 5:20am this morning and arrived in Defiance, Ohio at 8:15pm (7:15pm Central Time). About ten minutes before we ...