Monday, February 5, 2024

Early Valentine's Dinner and Finding My Version of Cheers!

Sign above the cash register at the host/hostess station
at River Inn Bar & Grill

Joe and I wanted to get out for a bit yesterday, so we decided to celebrate Valentine’s Day early and headed over to River Inn Bar & Grill for dinner.

The wait time for a table is usually an hour and we were able to get two seats at the end of the bar near the host/hostess station. Which also happens to be near the entry to the kitchen area. We had a front row seat to the workings of the restaurant. Watching the wait staff and bartenders move about with drink and food orders was enchanting. They all moved around and near each other as if they were partners in a dance routine. A well-practiced routine at that.

The hostess checked in with us at least three times to see if we needed anything. At one point I had finished a glass of wine, and she asked if she could get me another. I told her, I was fine and asked her if she would like us to move, “In case we are taking up valuable real estate space?” She looked at me and said, “You are just fine sitting here . Besides, you are valuable.” I almost cried. Literally, had to hold back the tears. This hostess had an incredible and fun smile and was helping all the wait staff, I even saw her grab a carpet sweeper and sweep around tables.

Our server was Val (Valerie, not Valentine though she was named for her Grandmother Valentina) who was attentive and answered my questions about how long she had worked there with a smile, an explanation, and offered that it was her first job and she loved working there. Eventually, with Val’s assistance, I discovered our Fairy God Hostess was none other than Jodi Tappe co-owner along with Rock Tappe.

For years my favorite restaurant was a local place in Woodland, CA called Tazzina’s Bistro. I have enjoyed dining in other restaurants, but it was my home place. It was my Cheers Bar! Every Monday night for years, Ginger, Kim, and I would be joined by other friends for drinks and dinner. My birthday, New Years Eve, Valentine’s Day, any special occasion we ate at Tazzina’s. As regulars we got to know the staff, the owners, and the bartender. To this day nobody has served me as good of a Margarita as Don served.

Last night I found my new favorite restaurant – River Inn Bar & Grill. Not only do they make you feel welcomed. The staff work together and laugh together and make their work look fun!

So, visit me so we can go hang out together! 

Wall decoration at the table Joe and I were seated at last night
during dinner at River Inn Bar & Grill.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find the Broom (How Smart are You?)

  There is a broom hidden in the above picture. I found the broom within 30 seconds. Does this mean I am smarter than average? I doubt it. I...