Sunday, May 26, 2024

What Do You Treat Yourself to Now, That You Couldn’t Have As A Kid?

What do you treat yourself to now, that you couldn’t have as a kid?

Unlimited reading time. Reading as often and as long as I want to read. My parents would send me out to play so that I wouldn’t sit with my nose in a book all day long. My teachers in fourth and fifth grade had a program where we could read booklets and answer questions during any time all of our other subject work was finished. Each box represented a different level. I think I had finished all of the levels by the middle of each school year.

Weekly visits to aunts, uncles, and cousins often meant a new supply of books to read. I usually was permitted a little time with books and then sent out to play. I often re-read books when the supply was limited. I loved words and the stories that could be told with words. I enjoyed spelling and grammar. I would read cereal boxes, magazines, albums with the lyrics, cookbooks, and anything else I could get my hands on.

The opportunity to read whenever I want is one of the best parts of retirement. It helps that Joe loves to read as well. On our 2023 trip around part of America we both enjoyed libraries as an escape from bad weather and on days when we wanted to rest.

Retirement means I can read as often and as long as I like. I like!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...