Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Haunting

Who would you like to haunt as a ghost?

My first thought when I saw this question was, “Who do you want to make miserable and frightened?” When I could not think of anyone, I disliked enough to want to haunt them, I turned the question around and asked myself, “Who would you want to ‘hang out’ with as a ghost.”

This was an aha moment for me because in retirement my vindictive streak has all but disappeared. Now that I am not in the throes of daily ‘work’ survival, I have come to recognize that most people are simply trying to survive their days on a job. And some people are simply trying to make it through a day in their life.

Retirement has given me a different perspective. It also makes me wonder why I had to get to the ripe age of sixty-seven years and eleven months to learn this lesson. I may be late to the party, but I made it!

My “haunted” person will be my friend Ginger for the following reasons:

She already has her family 24/7, she most likely will not notice me as much as someone living alone.

I love listening to her play the guitar and sing.

She is the funniest person I have ever known, and I come from a family of funny. My dad was the second funniest person in my life.

At times she reads scary books and scares herself late at night. If I ‘presented’ during those reading times she would take it in stride.

She would not be afraid of having me hang around because she knows I don’t plan to follow her into the bathroom or try to talk to her while she is on the phone. Unlike other people who might hang out at her house.

I would be happy sitting with her in her courtyard while she reads.

Since I am a ghost, I will not be asking her what is for dinner.

If I took a long break from haunting her, she would have complete faith that I would pop up again one day, and she would not grill me about where I had been during our time apart.

This sure sounds like a one-sided relationship. I believe that is the idea of ‘haunting.’ But just maybe, she will appreciate having me as a sidekick.

Who would you haunt and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...