Monday, July 8, 2024

Sweetness

After dinner last night,  an eight-year-old neighborhood child came to visit bearing a sweet card she wrote and a bag of Popcornopolis Zebra Popcorn (caramel corn with chocolate flavored stripes).

I added the stars to cover the family name.

The heart on top of the "t" is a sweet detail.

Charlotte (8 years old) and Caleb (10 years old) sent me text messages from their smartwatches. Charlotte’s message included three emojis she knows I love.



Sweetness pervades my life. I am so incredibly grateful for the children who bring light to my world. Especially during an election year when so much of the news sets my mind spinning and it is easy to fall into the abyss.

Taking five minutes each day to appreciate the joy that our grandchildren, great nieces and nephews, and our neighborhood children bring to my days has become a form of meditation.

This morning, one of my favorite people in the world sent a family photo and I couldn’t stop smiling at how much the three children have grown since I last saw them, nineteen months ago, at a company holiday party. In addition to the photo, I got an update on how they are each doing which makes me smile.

All around me children are graduating. Kindergarten, middle-school, high-school, and college graduations remind me of how quickly time passes.

My daughter is thirty-two and I still think of her as my sweetest baby. Ginger used to tell me I was going to kiss the skin right off of Megan’s face. Thankfully, Megan had tough skin when it came to mama’s kisses.

Sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Life

 I know I am privileged to live a happy life. I have had to work at it as I have aged and in the process of living encountered obstacles and...