Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Layering


 Taking a page from Joe’s layering of the raised garden beds, I decided to bring the magic of layering to the kitchen.

It took me two hours to create the layered dip. Refried beans, homemade guacamole, sour cream, shredded sharp Irish cheddar cheese, olives, tomatoes, onions, and hot jalapeƱos. A lot of chopping, mashing, and shredding! It is not like I have anywhere else to be until this afternoon when I will watch night two of the 2024 Democratic National Convention.

Last night I was glued to my computer as I watched the first night of the convention. Every speaker inspired me and gave me hope for our future. How refreshing it was for me to be reminded of how alike we are as Americans and how much we care about each other. It is so different than what comes out of the mouth of the candidate for the Republicans (even his name makes me feel sad, angry, frustrated, and bewildered).

The first night was healing for me. I laughed, I cried, I healed. I fell in love with the speakers. Except for Hilary, now I just love her more than I did before. Poignant moments interspersed with enthusiastic and positive words. I loved how inclusive the first night was with speakers from the communities they represented to political representatives. A mixed bag with an emphasis on representation by and for the middle class.

I was particularly amused by Shawn Fain’s T-shirt. Fain is the President of the United Automobile Workers (UAW). Even though I do not like name calling, in this case it was appropriate and more of a ‘label.’ Look it up if you missed it. My parents engaged in union work throughout their careers, so it was like old home week listening to each of the union Presidents speak.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez cemented my respect when she said. “Ever since I got elected, Republicans have attacked me by saying that I should go back to bartending. But let me tell you, I’m happy to—any day of the week—because there is nothing wrong with working for a living.” Amen.

I woke up this morning feeling more invigorated than I have in months. I credit it to the energy and joy emanating from the convention last night.

If you want to see a summary of the evening, I shared my friend Margorie’s summary on Facebook.

As I wrote this essay today, it dawned on me that last nights 2024 convention speakers were also conducting  some layering of their own. I remember during my Mary Kay sales days learning that layering is a gentle way of not overwhelming people. It is a nuanced technique that works well for many people. It was refreshing to be layered with positivity and hope instead of the anger and negativity coming from the Republican candidate.

1 comment:

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...