Saturday, September 14, 2024

Brunch in the Neighborhood & Afternoon with Grandchildren

 

This morning, I attended a neighborhood women’s brunch with six other women. I enjoyed listening to them talk about a variety of topics. Our hostess served an excellent spread with a choice of baked eggs with cheese or with sausage and cheese, watermelon slices, fresh berries, a vegetable tray, and assortment of pastries and muffins. She also offered us a wide array of beverages. I drank a mimosa.

One of our discoveries this morning was that two of the guests in attendance had each worked as probation officers for adults after they graduated college. One woman is my generation, and the other woman is somewhere between 35 and 40 years old (I am just guessing, as I cannot tell how old anyone is on this block. They all look younger to me).

Another guest shared her experiences working in property management for the twin cities area. We talked for a bit about education experiences/opportunities for children with special needs in private vs. the public school system.

I had to cut my visit short as Joe and I were scheduled to be in Rockford before noon. We were on grandchildren duty while Jeremy and Megan went to a Gophers football game. I was happy to spend time with Caleb and Charlotte. A part of me though wanted to stay at the brunch and hear more about working as a probation officer.

Charlotte and I played Uno, then Joe joined us for a hand, then Caleb came along and played a hand with us. I won three of the four hands. Charlotte won a game as well. Then we played SORRY! for an hour until 2:00pm rolled around. Joe was winning – all of his players were in the safe zone. On Saturdays during the school year, the grandchildren get to have more than one hour of screentime to play video games. The magic hour they could start playing today was 2:00pm. They both declared they were forfeiting so they could take full advantage of their video game time.

While they played video games, I took a nap and read. We made spaghetti for dinner. After dinner Charlotte and Caleb got their showers so they would be ready for family movie night when Megan and Jeremy got home.

The Gophers won!

When we left Megan and Jeremy’s at 7:00 pm, the kids were rolling around on the family room floor with the dogs. They appeared to have more energy than earlier in the day. I came home and made a screwdriver. I usually have one drink every other week. Here I am having two in one day. The orange juice means it qualifies as a fruit serving, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...