Friday, September 13, 2024

Little Things Make a Difference

 

The little things we do to show respect for others and our surroundings make a difference.

Last evening, Joe drove with me to the Minnesota DFL (Democrats) field office in Wayzata about 35 minutes from Saint Michael. There. I made phone calls to encourage people to vote in the upcoming election. I was impressed with and encouraged by the forty or so people who showed up in the 6:00pm to 8:00pm timeslot. The woman sitting next to me showed me the ropes as the campaign workers had so many people to train. The majority of volunteers were women but there were three men as well. All ages were represented!

Yesterday, I also received the email link to train as a  poll judge on election day. While this is a paid position, I want to do it to learn more about the process in Minnesota. Poll workers are scarce in some states as the workers have been threatened during elections. I am not sure I would do this in those states. I am counting on ‘Minnesota nice.’

I watched the class introduction and was impressed. One thing to know for those who have not been exposed to poll work, is that poll workers are not permitted to divulge their party affiliation, encourage anyone to vote for a specific party, or person, and are expected to act professional and courteous to everyone. If someone requires help, they are given two poll workers (one Republican and one Democrat) to make sure that there is no opportunity for one party to influence the voters. I especially like this as it helps for accountability of workers.

I am looking forward to learning more before I serve. I consider it an honor to be able to perform any task that helps people to vote on election day safely and securely.

Joe and I did our errands early this morning so that Joe could spend the day working in the yard. He wanted to finish getting wood chip mulch laid around all of the trees he had recently planted. The mulch helps keep moisture in and weeds down. Oh, and it looks pretty!

Meanwhile I was slicing potatoes and onions and assembling a pork chop and scalloped potato crockpot dinner and engaging with Shelly and Shasta about Megan and Jeremy’s baby shower in November. We have a Facebook Messenger Baby Shower Group where we can chat and plan. Shelly and Shasta were looking up ideas for snacks for Megan and Jeremy’s baby shower. I looked at the links to their ideas and salivated. Then I had to stop and take a nap.

We picked up our meat order today and now have a full freezer. Nobody in this house should go hungry. Alto (our grandcat) often acts as if she is starving, it is an act though. Today I caught her on the dining room table laying in the sun. I looked at her and asked what she thought she was doing. She got down quickly. When she jumped onto the floor she did her long cat stretch, looked at me, and wandered away with her tail high. She has an attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...