Thursday, September 12, 2024

Gentle Reminder to Myself

 
This saying resonated with me over the past few days as I work at reminding myself to be kind to everyone no matter how strident they become in their opinions on a variety of topics.

It helps to remember my mom and dad’s belief that there were three things you never talked about in public. Religion, politics, and sex. My dad died before Facebook came along and I think he would be shocked at what people post on those topics.

Growing up I listened to the adults in our extended family talk politics. One of my favorite childhood activities was listening to the adults talk from the room we were playing in. It was the second to curling up with a book during a visit to relatives. Relatives had more and different books.

And they had different opinions and shared them amongst themselves, freely. I found it fascinating and probably noticed a tip or two along the way. I definitely learned that the person who raised their voice to get a point across the discussion was ended with one of the calmer family members saying, “Well it looks like we will have to agree to disagree.”  I was never privy to the outcome of all of those discussions. Did anyone change their mind about a candidate or a situation?

The lesson to shut down a conversation when someone becomes louder worked well during my business career. Learning to listen and respond to their words instead of their behavior was also a handy tool.

I thought when I retired, I might be able to put the tools away. Silly me. It seems even retired people have opportunities to practice empathy. The question I am asking myself is this,

“When someone lies and others repeat the lies as gospel is there value in pointing out facts that demonstrate a lie occurred?”

And if an opinion is based on acceptance of information that is not supported with facts, is there a responsibility to point that out? Or is it better just to change the subject?

Maybe I am retired but my work habits have not retired quite yet. I will continue to work on letting go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...