Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

 

When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I could develop the discipline of daily writing. I started writing the daily blog entries on December 26, 2022. As of today, I have written almost every day of the 632 days that have passed. Three separate times I have chatted with a friend about changing to a weekly blog. I could write each day and at the end of the week post one longer blog.

I cannot put my finger on why that idea doesn’t feel right to me. Is it ego? Is it a selfish way to stay connected to friends all over the country and  four family members who tell me they read the daily posts? If so, then it is rather one -sided. Have I always needed an audience in my relationships?

These are an example of the thoughts that pop  up as I think about the next steps in my writing journey. The process of keeping to a daily writing schedule has been beneficial in the transition from a busy work life to retirement. Almost all advice for retirees includes engaging in activities that keep them engaged and active.

My days are often spent researching topics I haven’t written about, yet. I like to understand an idea or topic in-depth. The past six months have included deep dives into politics. If it weren’t for reading Roxanne Snopek novels and watching reruns of Body of Proof on Hulu (and current episodes of Only Murders in the Building. I finished The Bear Season 3 as well), or watching Roxy and Ruth Happy Hour Podcasts, I would straight up be in an asylum because I am convinced that 24/7 of politics is not healthy for me (and maybe for nobody else – including politicians as well).

There are days I can turn off political topics when I write. On other days I write a page or two on politics and set it aside and then write something else entirely to post online. Then there are days when I  think, “Darn it, I’ll just post the political and let the chips fall where they may.” I do this for two reasons. One is that I am not a one-dimensional person, it just feels like it right now, and I want to convince myself I can write about other topics. The second reason is that I feel like for the first time since I was eighteen, writing the blog lets my three brothers know who I am. Now that I write that line, I realize I am embracing my vulnerability. There is more truth to the thought, “I want my brothers to know who I am.” than even I knew.

Now that I think about it only two of my brothers have ever told me they have read the blog. They could have tuned out by now! That is okay, too.

I spent my pre-retirement  life just doing and being and giving little thought to ideas like vulnerability and authenticity except as it applied to leadership. Now, as a retiree, I am thinking of those ideas as they apply to my personal relationships.

For now, I know I have to write every day. Even if only two paragraphs because writing is my touchstone in my life right now. I am striving to be as authentic as possible while not harming the people who weave in out of my life.

2 comments:

  1. i read it daily must or would not complete ken k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know you still read it. Whenever I am writing, I think of you and your journey right now. Love, Sis

      Delete

The Day Flew By

Today got away from me. It might be because I stayed in bed reading until 9:30 am. If I didn’t have a bladder, I might still be lounging. ...