Sunday, September 29, 2024

Spending Money or YOLO

 

As if I needed a reminder that I am getting old and crotchety AND acting from a place of privilege. This morning, I read a blog on Medium by a twenty-something woman who gave a list of twenty-five things that her “rich” aunt suggested people could do to save money. The article has stuck with me all morning as it really seemed like a practical list to me. Don’t worry I am not listing all twenty-five items. What struck with me though was the perspective of someone from a different generation.

The writer had a reason for why each of the suggestions from auntie were both elitist and biased. I bristled as I read the reasons she gave as to why  auntie was acting “privileged,” mostly because I have done over half of the items on the list to save money when money was tight. It used to baffle me when people I knew lamented about lack of money when they had spent money in a way that I thought was unwise  (bragging about an $800 tattoo but couldn’t afford to pay childcare is my all-time award for “Baffling Beth” on spending decisions). For the most part I have tried to rein in my tendency to judge other people’s spending habits.

As long as I am not responsible for the debts of others, I don’t care how they spend money. At the same time, don’t expect me to have empathy for the person who complained about how Biden economics meant she had to cash in her retirement to pay her increased mortgage payment. I bit my tongue and did not ask her if the four cruises she and her husband took over the summer had contributed in some way to her decision to cash out her retirement funds.

To the outside world, in this moment of our lives, Joe and I may look affluent. We know we worked hard to save for a rainy day. We had luck along the way. That luck combined with financial mindfulness brought us to a point where – at least for today – we can enjoy living in a home that we can afford and that we love. We can take our family out for a fun and nice dinner each month, we can donate to political campaigns and no-profit organizations, and we can buy gifts as we please for others. That was not always the case.

I remember when we decided to buy our home earlier this year. We could buy smaller and save more. Or we could spend the money to live in what seems like the perfect home for us right now. It took quite a bit of self-convincing to overcome the “keep saving for a rainy day” mentality that we had been practicing for so long. We don’t regret it. At least not today!!

And to the person who cashed out her retirement benefits because of the current economy. It was a choice to take four cruises. Own that. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. Just don’t expect that everyone else you broadcast your “I am poor because of Biden (or any other person)” will empathize with you.

Here is the link to the blog I read this morning.

https://pomeroysays.medium.com/25-items-my-rich-aunt-says-that-poor-people-need-to-stop-buying-d7c59f83783c

Note: Yolo = You Only Live Once (It is also the county we lived in in California as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending Money or YOLO

  As if I needed a reminder that I am getting old and crotchety AND acting from a place of privilege. This morning, I read a blog on Medium ...