Saturday, October 5, 2024

Find the Broom (How Smart are You?)

 

There is a broom hidden in the above picture. I found the broom within 30 seconds. Does this mean I am smarter than average? I doubt it. I have taken aptitude tests over the years, and I usually come out above average, but not genius level. I think my inquisitive and analytical nature is because I loved journalism in high school and learned to question and look for answers. On top of that I was blessed with jobs that gave me the opportunity to learn how to think and how to look for solutions. A year on a Yolo County Grand Jury taught me to triangulate information (three reputable sources) before coming to a conclusion.

I say all of this not to gloat about my intellect that is within the range of normal. I know really smart people who jump to conclusions. It is difficult not to do just that when we might like what we are hearing or want something to be true because it supports our own belief. 

When I worked the sales desk at my last job (during COVID it was all hands-on deck at times) I remember a veterinarian calling to talk to our veterinarian claiming that his dog died from the vaccine we manufactured. Our veterinarian, after expressing condolences on the loss of his pet, said, "Sounds like your pup got into some poison." The veterinarian insisted he had walked his property and there was no poison. We took a report to register the claim with the USDA. About an hour later, the veterinarian called to say he found the poison his dog ate.

This was a great lesson for me on cause and effect. We look for answers and hope to find solutions and it can be easy to get misdirected along the way. It is one reason I read so much; I want to understand. Other people are not necessarily interested in understanding and will take misinformation as gospel. Whatever helps them sleep at night. Not my job to correct them. OH MY GOD, did I just write that? Well, I am trying to only have conversations with people who ask for my opinion or people who send me information in private messenger. I figure if they are sharing with me privately, they are asking for a response. Writing a response on something I posted is permission to respond as well.

I hope you found the broom. I hope you maintain your sanity over the next thirty-one days. VOTE!

My morning was absolutely lovely as I spent almost three hours video chatting with my dear friend, Anne, in Pennsylvania. She brings light to the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find the Broom (How Smart are You?)

  There is a broom hidden in the above picture. I found the broom within 30 seconds. Does this mean I am smarter than average? I doubt it. I...