Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Family Time Across Three States: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama (Day 22 Road Trip)

April 19, 2023 

Cornelia prepared breakfast for us this morning before we got back on the road to Huntsville, Alabama. Joe and Cornelia love fruit so we had peaches and oranges with our scrambled eggs, croissants, bagels, and left over Popeyes’ biscuits.

Cornelia broke out her wedding album to show me pictures of Joe at age eight. A few of her wedding photos were badly damaged in Hurricane Katrina; however, if she could discern a face, she kept the photos.

Left to Right: Joe, Steve, and Tom Coehlo with their Aunt Cornelia Whitlow in 1958

Joe kisses Aunt Cornelia goodbye as she leaves for her honeymoon.

Joe Coehlo, 1958, at his Aunt Cornellia's wedding
(Note: Photo damaged during floods from Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in 2005)

We got on the road around 10:15 am and enjoyed a leisurely drive through Louisiana, Mississippi and into Alabama. WAZE told us we would arrive at 4:30 pm; however, we got into Tammy and Kent’s at 6:40pm after stopping for dinner at Top Hat Barbecue in Hayden Alabama. It only added four minutes of travel time to take an alternate driving route from Hayden to Huntsville. The other couple of hours were from our hourly stops for restroom breaks, driver changes, and leg stretches.

Our first stop in Mississippi was at a rest stop within a mile of the Louisiana and Mississippi border. A water fountain at a rest stop? Pretty classy!


Driving through Mississippi I fell in love with the Southern Magnolia trees that grew in the medians of the freeways. One tree had only a few leaves and several blossoms and it was beautiful even in its starkness. There were quite a few magnolias that had bloomed. Usually blooming occurs in May and June. I did not stop on the freeway to take photos.

When it was my turn to drive, Joe would look up nearby towns on Google and read me facts. We also listened to a Facebook podcast by Heather Cox Richardson and a podcast on Dateline. I read a bit of John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley aloud while Joe drove.

All in all, a very pleasant drive through some beautiful areas of all three states we travelled through today.

Tammy is a cousin from my mother’s side of the family. Her mom (Betty) and my mom (Ethel DeAnn aka DeAnn) were sisters. Tammy is two years older than me. As children we hung out a lot during family visits until we became teenagers. Once we hit our teenage years, I can’t recall visiting – we were probably busy with our own circle of friends by then.

In 1972 I went to Texas on a road trip with Tammy’s folks and her sister-in-law (Karen) and infant nephew (Peter). I believe we were taking Karen and Peter to an air force base to either visit or move to be with Doug (Tammy’s older brother). It was the furthest I had ever traveled from home, and it was an exciting opportunity. I remember bits and pieces of the trip down but not the return trip. In 1972 I was 16 years old and in my mind Tammy and I were much younger.

Tammy and Kent’s Huntsville home is in a wooded area. Once we turned into their driveway, we discovered the driveway was at a 30–35-degree angle down to their home. Driving in was kind of like a roller coaster!

We are planning to stay here through the 24th and leave on the 25th to head toward Savannah, Georgia.

For a little bit we sat on the back porch and talked, once it got dark, we came in and had strawberry shortcake and talked some more. Tammy gave me a tour of the house and we ended in the upstairs master bedroom where Joe and I will be staying. Tammy and I sat on the bed and talked until around 10:30 pm. It was a throwback to the slumber parties I loved as a teenager! Meanwhile, Joe and Kent sat downstairs and talked (according to Joe) about woodworking and plumbing.

This comfortable and beautiful home has a master bedroom suite downstairs and one upstairs. I really like the set-up. I downloaded a photo of their home from the internet.

It’s late so I’m going to call it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....