Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Moving West (Road Trip Day 70)

We said a poignant goodbye to Anne this morning and headed on over to Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, to spend the next five days with my cousin Denise and her husband and seventeen-year-old son.

Denise and I are first cousins. Our moms are sisters. Denise is six years younger than me; she was twelve when I left Ohio in 1974. We have seen each other over the years when we were both home for different events. The last visit was my younger sister, Jeni’s, funeral in September 2019. Jeni and Denise were closer in age and hung out until Denise moved out of the area when she turned eighteen.

I drove in Pittsburgh today. It seemed fair as Joe had driven in the Washington DC area earlier in our journey. I think it’s fair to say that driving in Woodland, which was infuriating at times, seems so much easier. Bumper to bumper traffic, narrow roadways, long tunnels, lots of trucks, and drivers weaving in and out of stop and go traffic was a bit unnerving. We made it safely though!

 We are having a quiet evening catching up on family news and sharing stories of our travels around the country and world. As a retired flight attendant, Denise has traveled extensively in Europe and the United States.

Our plans for the next several days are to visit some sites around Pittsburgh and Joe will be helping with a deck repair.

Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I spent about a year and a half spending 3 or 4 days a week in and around Pittsburgh for work. Traffic is terrible and ,no offense, they were the worst and rudest drivers I ever had to drive around! Be careful and good luck!-Todd

    ReplyDelete

Spending Money or YOLO

  As if I needed a reminder that I am getting old and crotchety AND acting from a place of privilege. This morning, I read a blog on Medium ...