Saturday, July 1, 2023

Home - End of the Road (Road Trip Day 95 )

We drove from Coldwater, Michigan to Rockford, Minnesota today. We left at 5:00 am and arrived in Rockford at 4:22 pm - it is one hour later here than in Michigan, so we were on the road for 10 hours and 22 minutes. We stopped multiple times to change drivers and take bathroom breaks.

When I planned to do the trip to our new 'temporary home' for today - I did not factor in the Fourth of July weekend. Traffic got crazy after Chicago as people headed to their own vacation spots for the long weekend. We saw two major accidents and one minor accident along Hwy 94 in Wisconsin and Minnesota. No active road work today! 

I have my laptop set up on a table in our new temporary home. It is incredibly quiet here. I appreciate the openness of the area and am looking forward, in the coming week, to setting up our living space. As I look around, I am beginning to get ideas for the finished layout. Once we get it organized, I will include photos.

Here is a picture of the exterior of Megan's house - we will be living in the finished basement which includes a bedroom and full bathroom and then an open floor plan area to set up our living room and dining/cooking area and a play area for our grandchildren. 


This week the driveway is being repaved. The house is 3600 square feet, and our area is about nine-hundred forty square feet. When Joe bought the Southwood Drive property in California it was originally eight hundred square feet. I think we will be happy here until we figure out the property we want to eventually buy. 

I am beat! The neighbors at the lake set off fireworks until about 10:30 pm last night and then there was loud music for a little bit. We were trying to get a good night’s sleep to be prepared for today's trip and both ended up with about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I am going to take a day off tomorrow and sleep! 


6 comments:

  1. So glad you made it safely. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your epic journey is at an end safely. What a wonderful trip you had. Time for some well-deserved rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea!!! Welcome Home! - Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it safely! I’m sure Megan and family were excited to have you home ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice house,glad you get rest for a few day. See on the July 22. Get rested for your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice place!
    I think you are one hour behind Michigan...so your trip took 12 hours 22 minutes...I think....anyway....quite a long day! Rest up now....

    ReplyDelete

Karnes Get Together - Independence State Dam

Yesterday afternoon, before the 50 th class reunion, Joe and I stopped in to see my Uncle Dick and Aunt Sue. We enjoyed visiting with them....