Tuesday, August 8, 2023

A Money Saving Day

 My morning was spent researching and signing up for new medicare supplemental/advantage insurance. After we got our quotes from Anthem Blue Cross for our move to Minnesota (about 25% increase over California prices), I decided to look at other choices in Minnesota. Glad I did! We ended up with a better plan than we had with a savings of $170.00 per month (before the increases Anthem was going to charge) plus the Minnesota plan also covers hearing, vision, and dental that we did not have on the California. With the prices Anthem was proposing we ended up saving $260.00 per month with better benefits.

This afternoon we drove to Maple Grove to do our weekly Costco run and get gas at Costco. The gas price was 26 cents less a gallon than at the least expesnive place we had seen in Buffalo and Rockford. Another win on a little bit of savings for the day! We had a few errands to run while we were in town where I picked up a piece of clothing at Lane Bryant that I had ordered last week. Because I opted to pick my order up, I got 50% off on any item in the store – I saved $25.00 on a new pair of pants. Today, we also discovered that clothing is tax exempt in the state. The exceptions are protective equipment, cloting accessories, sports and recreational clothing, and fur clothing which are all taxable. More savings!

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to get my fingerprinting completed. Wanted to do it in Buffalo but the person at the Sheriff’s department in Buffalo is on vacation and the earliest appointment was next week. Tomorrow we will drive an extra 5 miles to go to another town we have not visited yet so I can mail in the necessary documents to complete my short-call teaching license. Looking forward to getting that process completed.

I don’t miss working for someone when it seems I have enough work to do for Joe and me…

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....