Saturday, September 16, 2023

Connections (Day 6 of Road Trip #3 in 2023)

I met up this morning with a friend of the heart – Abbie. She has a huge heart and her capacity for loving the universe and all that it holds is limitless. An hour and 15 minutes of being in her space, and my soul feels refreshed and invigorated.

I marveled as she connected with the person behind the counter at Palate a coffee bar. She had a five-minute conversation with him. I would have been too self-conscious of others waiting in line. There was no line, though. Instead, I listened in and enjoyed the connection Abbie was making.

My relationship with Abbie reminds me that friendship is not defined by proximity. And then after I got back to the motel, I came across this poem on Facebook:

The glory of friendship is

not the outstretched hand,

not the kindly smile,

nor the joy of companionship;                                                                             ,

it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.

-                   - Ralph Waldo Emerson 

“… willing to trust you with a friendship.” I had never considered the trust aspect of friendship before reading this poem. Have I always taken the trust of others for granted? I will be pondering this for a while.

Joe and I dined at The Breakfast Club this morning. A small diner about a block from our motel. We are planning to eat an early dinner at Cuban Kitchen four blocks away. Vietnamese food last night and Cuban food tonight. One advantage of spending time in a larger city is the wealth of ethnic food choices.

Megan sent a text this morning that we may be missing the best parts of Minnesota Fall. I asked her to take photos for me. She replied, “I will on Tuesday when I’m not the one driving home. Our backyard may still be changing when you get home!” We are due back in Minnesota at the end of September.

I have noticed that “A Place for Mom” ads have been popping up on my Facebook feed, These are sponsored ads for free senior living advice with the copy, “We are here to help you make the most confident senior living decision for your loved one…” Now, I wonder what I said or looked at that would cause this to show up in my feed?  I guess I shouldn’t worry until they appear on Megan’s feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...