Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Duck, Duck, Gray Duck


During our shopping trip yesterday, out of the blue Megan, says to me, “Mom, in Minnesota it’s not duck, duck, goose. Minnesotans say duck, duck, gray duck. It’s because the game originated in Scandinavian countries and many Minnesota residents came from Sweden and Norway.”  She told me this because she said she wouldn’t want me to be substitute teaching and looking silly with the kids. This got me to wondering if children are even allowed to play this game in schools anymore since it involves tapping another child on the head or shoulder. At least I am prepared if it ever comes up.

Today marked 26 days in a row that I did my morning walk. I am reaping the benefits with more energy and more stamina in general. I am also sleeping better, which could be attributed to our new bed, the weighted blanket, and the perfect pillow! I discovered that our new United Healthcare Advantage plan gives me $10.00 per month to spend on over the counter pharmacy purchases for walking 5000 steps per day for at least ten days per month. I can also earn additional money to spend by doing a social activity each month. So instead of the $60.00/quarter to spend for each quarter, Joe and I can earn $105.00/quarter each to cover everything you can think of in a pharmacy that does not require a prescription.

Today was oil change day! On our road trip we had the oil changed three times and the cost ranged from $100.00 to $130.00 for the same services we needed today. We paid $57.00 today. The normal price is $62.00 for oil & filter change and $35.00 for tire rotation ($97.00 total); however, we had a coupon for $5.00 off and a free tire rotation. The coupon can be used multiple times before the end of the year.

 Six mornings from now we will be hitting the road again to see friends and family in Bend, Oregon and then on to Woodland, California to visit our friends there. Joe will also visit with his daughter. This will most likely be their last visit together in Woodland as she is planning to move to Florida in November. All our children will have left California! Joe’s son lives in New York City and Megan is here in Rockford, Minnesota.

I will always love the life we had in Woodland, California. I love the town and the people that came into my life while working and living in the community. I am finding Minnesota to be a wonderful place so far. Multiple people have said that I will change my mind when winter comes. I hope not. I know that driving to Buffalo (15 minutes away) is so relaxing and I’d rather be surrounded by scenery than town/city traffic. I am not at all aware of the passing of time on the drive to Maple Grove (35 minutes approximately) as I take in the farmland and small communities every few miles. Maybe someday I will take it all for granted. For now, it is still fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohio Road Trip

Joe and I got on the road at 5:20am this morning and arrived in Defiance, Ohio at 8:15pm (7:15pm Central Time). About ten minutes before we ...