Monday, September 4, 2023

Foodie Day on Labor Day

 

Lemon Mascarpone Cake @ Biaggi's

Today was a foodie day. It began with breakfast at Brothers Eatery, the restaurant we found out about yesterday. I had country fried steak with two eggs over medium, hash browns, and sourdough toast. Joe chose The Brothers Breakfast which consisted of chorizo, shredded pork, roasted bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and jalapeno peppers topped with Swiss cheese and eggs. He also had hash browns and whole wheat toast. It was an excellent breakfast.

The restaurant was busy when we arrived at around 7:45am and when we left around 9:00am it was still busy. Our booth was at the front of the diner, and we could see down the counter and into the kitchen. I was especially pleased with how clean the kitchen was. I also observed that our server (I suspect he is one of the family members who own the place) greeted, seated, and took orders without seeming harried at all. He took his time but was not slow. I watched him prepare coffee and a few other items and he wiped the counter down each time. I was impressed with the care that was taken to keep the plates, coffee cups, and the work area looking clean.

I worked in a restaurant, a family diner, in my teens and we were taught to clean as we prepared and served. This means when I go to restaurants, I have high expectations! I am excited to try Brothers for lunch or dinner when we get back from our trip at the end of the month.

At noon, Megan and I went to Maple Grove to shop for a dress for an upcoming event I am attending in Oregon. Both stores we went to had 40% off sales so I ended up with two new dresses, 2 sweaters, and a tunic top. That was fun!

When we finished shopping, we went to an Italian restaurant – Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano. The food was heavenly. It took us a good thirty minutes to decide what to eat as each menu item sounded delectable. Meanwhile, they started us with a breadbasket with what they call Biaggi’s butter. Biaggi’s butter is a blend made at the table of fresh grated parmesan cheese with olive oil and black pepper. The bread was fresh baked sourdough and focaccia (both baked in-house). The focaccia was still warm. Megan made an off-hand remark to the waiter, Johnny, that she would love a loaf of the focaccia to take home. As we were settling our bill, Johnny brought Megan a bag, “With focaccia and the makings for Biaggi butter. Enjoy!”

Megan ended up choosing Rigatoni Bolognese with Italian Sausage and I had Short Rib Ravioli. Dessert was a Lemon Mascarpone Cake (the description made my mouth water: Lemon-soaked sponge cake, mascarpone cheese, fresh lemon curd, candied lemon peel). We shared our entrees and the cake. Megan had leftover Bolognese she brought home with her bread. I had no leftovers! Absolutely looking forward to trying dinner at Biaggi’s someday.




The take-home bread!

A huge shout out of thanks to everyone who worked on Labor Day (and all the other days) to make our lives even nicer. From the retail clerks to the hostesses, chefs, servers, and bussers – what would our lives be like if people weren’t willing to do these jobs?  

Jeremy worked today while I was busy eating. He works for a produce distribution company, and they are open seven days a week all year long. They could close for Christmas and Thanksgiving Day – I am unsure. Jeremy worked 12 hours today in preparation for an inspection occurring later this week. I know there are plenty of other folks out there where Labor Day is just one more workday in the year.

I am so happy to be retired and to have the opportunity to step back and appreciate all the people who go to their jobs each day so that we have food, medicine, clothing, automobiles, movies, furniture, appliances, kitchenware, dishes, toilet paper, facial cleanser…. well, you get the picture. Everything we touch in our daily lives was created by someone working. Labor Day is a day of thanksgiving and appreciation for the people who are getting things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Karnes Get Together - Independence State Dam

Yesterday afternoon, before the 50 th class reunion, Joe and I stopped in to see my Uncle Dick and Aunt Sue. We enjoyed visiting with them....