Thursday, October 19, 2023

Listening to the Quiet

We have had someplace to be every day this week. Today was a day of quiet! With rain on and off all day, Joe limited his daily walk to two and a half miles. I only left our flat to go upstairs for dinner. All my walking was done around our living quarters. While the scenery can get repetitious at least it’s dry!

I spent part of my afternoon on the phone with the gentleman who came out to inspect the roof earlier this week. I am learning how homeowner’s insurance works differently between California and Minnesota. The climate differences have an impact I never even considered. All this information will help Joe and me when we are ready to buy our house.

After dinner and her shower, Charlotte came to ask Grandpa to play Chinese Checkers. She looked around and said, “It’s so quiet here!”

I stopped and listened for a moment. It is quiet in our flat. I have taken this for granted. Listening to the quiet, I realized how peaceful it is to be surrounded by the quiet for part of a day. I have grown accustomed to background noises over the years. While the noise is often blocked from my conscious, it is still there nagging at my brain. Purposefully blocking background ‘noise’ has become a habit. I wonder if it will still be as quiet when we get our hearing aids?

I hope you have enjoyed some quiet in your day.

If you want to read about how silence benefits us, this is an informative article.

https://time.com/6210320/how-listening-to-silence-changes-our-brains/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...