Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Don't Worry!

When I could have been researching more ideas for blogs, I instead got sidetracked with the words hurkle-durkle. It appears to be a 200-year-old Scottish term meaning to lounge in bed long after it is time to get up.

I hurkle-durkled after my afternoon nap today. Listening to a sleep story on my CALM app. I went back to sleep for a longer nap. I wonder if going back to sleep negates a hurkle-durkle session.

I was curious about other words I’s never heard before that might come in handy during my retirement years. I came across three new terms, I think I can enthusiastically use.

The first is cwtch (that is the correct spelling, rhymes with butch). This is a Welsh word for a hug that makes you warm inside. Our grandson, Caleb, is a world class cwtch hugger. I knew his hugs were more than a mere hug and now I have a word to describe how I feel when he gives his old Grammy a hug.

The next word is more specific to use in snow country. I do not believe my friends in California will find it useful on a day-to-day basis. The word is degomble. The Antarctica dictionary defines this as “to disencumber of snow” usually when coming in from outside. If we find ourselves degombling because we have snow inside our home, I will be moving back to California. I am good with degombling if I do not have to do it in the summer.

Finally, a phrase I can use any time of the year. Dinna fash is Gaelic for “Don’t worry.”

Dinna Fash, after a long hurkle-durkle and cwtch from Caleb, I will get my shopping done and degomble when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...