Sunday, December 3, 2023

Thank You, Joan Didion!

"I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means."

-        Joan Didion “Why I Write”

I came across this quote from an article written in January 2021 by Joan Didion. I was like “Oh My God!” This is my truth as well.

Earlier this year a published writer asked me why I write if it is not to be published. He said I was the first person he had met that writes that is not trying to be published. And I just looked at him because I felt a deep ache inside that I would need to justify my need to write. And then I cried.

I sat before this person speechless and with tears streaming down my face because I felt in that moment as if I must be broken to not have an answer.

Then today, I found this quote. Bless you, Ms. Didion. It seems I need no other reason to write than because it helps me to know myself better.

Should you wish to read the article check it out here: https://lithub.com/joan-didion-why-i-write/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...