Tuesday, December 19, 2023

You Deserve ...

Which environments bring out the softness in you? I thought this was a good question to ponder. For me it leads to other questions.

Is it possible for a job to bring out the softness in me? My first instinct is to respond with “no!”

Maybe it is the definition of softness that is throwing me for a loop:

                      the quality of being sympatheticlenient, or compassionate.

                      "he recommended conciliation and softness towards national minorities."

"the softness of the words were not lost on him."

                                                                                            (from Oxford Dictionary: Definition 3)

My last job required, and perhaps the volunteer work I am currently doing, me to practice softness and yet it feels like I must practice softness to survive.

My marriage environment brings out the softness in me.

My grandchildren bring out the softness in me. More like silliness at times. Yet silliness is a form of softness for them. Laughter has always allowed room for me to be softer.

My friendships encourage the softness in me.

I think for other people their relationship with their church brings out their softness.

I suspect that each of us finds the environment that brings out our softness, though I have known people where the concept of softness does not exist. They cannot, under any circumstances, find a way to open their minds and hearts to the idea of compassion for others.

Over the years, other people have taught me how to have a mind open enough to have sympathy and compassion for people who are different than me. In my case it has been hard work to get to the point where I can love people where they are at instead of where I think they should be.

I still have a lot of work to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ohio Road Trip

Joe and I got on the road at 5:20am this morning and arrived in Defiance, Ohio at 8:15pm (7:15pm Central Time). About ten minutes before we ...