Sunday, January 28, 2024

First Historical Event You Remember Witnessing?

What was the first major historical event you remember witnessing? 

The first major historical event I remember witnessing was the assassination of John F. Kennedy. I was a second grader at Slocum Elementary in Defiance, Ohio. I remember hearing that the president had been assassinated. I remember all the students going outside and watching the flag at our school as it was lowered to half-mast. I remember wondering if John F. Kennedy would be with my Grandpa Hudkins in heaven.

John F. Kennedy’s cortege left the White House, November 1963.

John Loengard The LIFE Picture Collection/Shutterstock

In my second-grade mind, dead people could see people on earth. Since I spent quite a bit of time that year sitting in the corner, under the American Flag, I was convinced that the stars on the flag were a way for the people in heaven (also known as Angels) to look down and see me sitting in the corner. It was traumatizing. I was especially worried that the president would now be able to witness my shame at being in the corner.

I do not recall my behaviors that resulted in my corner time. I did not have troubles in kindergarten or first grade nor all the way through to high school. The only time I do recall why I was in the corner was not for something I did. Of course, I would remember the incident that was an “injustice.” The injustice happened because my little sister (Jeni would have been three years old) had torn a page in my book. My mother had written a note to Mrs. A to let her know. However, the letter that had been tucked into the book had fallen out on the floor while we were taking off our snow boots in the hallway before class started.

Mrs. A. saw the torn page in my book, grabbed my arm, and hauled me to the corner with a stern lecture on being irresponsible with school property. I told her there was a letter from my mom and that my little sister had done it. Eventually another teacher found the letter in the boot storage area and brought it to Mrs. A. I was freed from the corner. It was too late though. Mrs. A. had established herself as wicked in my seven-year-old mind.

Eventually sister Jeni had Mrs. A as her teacher and she loved her. Which sealed Mrs. A’s fate as the worst teacher ever in my mind. My bratty sister who tore the book was the apple of Mrs. A’s eye. Ha! Proof that Mrs. A was a witch!

Back on topic. I remember watching John F. Kennedy’s casket parade on our small black and white television. We may even have had the day off school.

I think if my daughter were asked this question, she would respond with 9/11when she was nine years old.

What was the first major historical event you remembered witnessing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...