Thursday, January 4, 2024

JOMO

Learning something new everyday delights me. Today, I learned about JOMO. A meme on a friend’s Facebook page read: More JOMO in 2024!

Being curious (i.e., nosy), I wondered what JOMO was? Not even a clue. Thank goodness for Google!

JOMO = The Joy of Missing Out. Definitions are slightly different depending on the source; however, I have concluded that it simply means living in the moment and finding joy in your own life without feeling you are missing out on something because other people are enjoying their own lives.

Here is my favorite of the definitions I came across because the Psychology Today writer (Kristen Fuller, MD) goes into more detail:

“JOMO (the joy of missing out) is the emotionally intelligent antidote to FOMO* and is essentially about being present and being content with where you are at in life. You do not need to compare your life to others but instead, practice tuning out the background noise of the “shoulds” and “wants” and learn to let go of worrying whether you are doing something wrong. JOMO allows us to live life in the slow lane, to appreciate human connections, to be intentional with our time, to practice saying “no,” to give ourselves “tech-free breaks,” and to give us permission to acknowledge where we are and to feel emotions, whether they are positive or negative. Instead of constantly trying to keep up with the Jones’, JOMO allows us to be who we are in the present moment, which is the secret to finding happiness. When you free up that competitive and anxious space in your brain, you have so much more time, energy and emotion to conquer your true priorities.”

                            https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-is-state-mind/201807/jomo-the-joy-missing-out

Check out the article as the introduction is a terrific poem about the joy of missing out by Michael Leunig.

*FOMO is the Fear Of Missing Out and occurs when we feel we are missing something because other’s lives are ‘better’ or more exciting. The resources I read blame this on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. However, when I was growing up in the late 1950’s and the 1960’s, BEFORE social media, a common childhood theme was about not envying others. Personally, this is not something I struggle with, I think everyone should live their own best lives. I do not write to make others feel envious, I write to shed light on how I live. I appreciate it when other people share their lives, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Granted social media may make FOMO more apparent and worse because there is the potential to compare our lives to and envy more people – even complete strangers.

My joyful moment today was in discovering that the concept of JOMO exists; That there are words for a practice I engage in regularly. I credit a part of my own JOMO attitude to practicing meditation for the past eight years and it has helped me to live in the moment and to deal with anxiety during a difficult year. It was the year that sucked! Life is what life is though. I dealt with it as healthily as I could. Learning to breathe through meditation helped tremendously and taught me to live in the moment and appreciate the moment for what it was.

What are your thoughts on JOMO? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday Mornings With Caleb & Charlotte (#2)

  Our morning started with Caleb and Charlotte spending time with us while Megan did her volunteer stint. Since it was raining (yes, again!)...