Saturday, January 6, 2024

YUM!

Last night we taste-tested our Scandinavian snack box. It contained ten different snacks. Some were savory, some sweet. Unanimously the favorites were dill flavored potato chips and candied skulls that were like a gummy but denser. All of us liked both but gave the nod to the skulls as the dill chips are available locally at the stores.


Caleb liked only two items; Charlotte liked five items. Joe liked the most items. We all had fun sitting at the table in our flat and trying the different snacks. The evening was about more than food though. Other than dill potato chips all of us were tasting new things and Caleb and Charlotte experienced adults deciding if they liked a particular item. It is usually just them trying new foods!

I am looking forward to seeing what our January YUM snack box.

This past week I changed my eating habits by having at least twenty-five grams of protein and ten grams of fiber for each meal. I also added a snack with 10 to 15 grams of fiber and five grams of fiber. I found that I do have more energy and zero hunger. No processed foods in those meals. I had cake and ice cream to celebrate Jeremy’s birthday Wednesday night and tasted the Scandinavian snacks. I like the change in my eating habits because it does not exclude occasional sweets and treats.

The change in how I eat has meant a change in food preparation. If you opened my fridge now, you would find tuna fish salad and a large chopped vegetable salad mixed with black beans, corn, and cheddar cheese chunks. It has Mexican seasoning on it and two cups is one serving. I double the recipe which is nineteen cups of finished product. Perfect for lunch or having one cup for a snack. We also stocked up on nuts and made our own mixed nuts to add to cottage cheese and mixed berries for a healthy snack.

Having food prepped in advance means it is easy for me to select healthy choices. I have a gift certificate to a local deli; twice this past week when I thought about using it, I decided to eat what I had in the fridge instead. One of my biggest food issues has been convenience. My brain thinks it is convenient for someone else to prepare the meals. I appreciate Megan making our evening meal!

Wow! Sorry, this blog is all about food today. For the first time in a long time, try decades, I am feeling at peace with how I am eating. No calorie counting. No diet. No guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Karnes Get Together - Independence State Dam

Yesterday afternoon, before the 50 th class reunion, Joe and I stopped in to see my Uncle Dick and Aunt Sue. We enjoyed visiting with them....