Friday, May 3, 2024

Grandparents Day (I May Have Failed)

Grandparents Day for second graders was a welcome treat for us today. Starting at 12:15 pm all the second-grade children performed puppet plays from Native American lore. The children created their own puppets and learned movements and sounds while an adult read the narrative. One second grade class did paper mâché head pieces.

After the puppet shows the second graders performed musical numbers with the last song being a tearjerker about loving grandparents. Next up was a box lunch. The school treated us to chicken salad sandwiches on a soft roll along with baked potato chips, grapes, and an M & M cookie.

Charlotte had five grandparents visiting her today. Her mom’s mom, Linda; Jeremy’s mom Shelly and her husband, Artie; and Joe and me. After lunch we visited Charlotte’s locker, toured the hallway to her classroom which displayed the classes Goods and Services Project which focused on selecting a job (career) and how it benefits a community.

Once in the classroom we found Charlotte’s desk and discovered she had written letters to her grandparents. Joe’s and my letter is pictured below. Charlotte sits in the front row, and she can turn her head and look out at the sky. I thought that was cool. Window seats were prime territory in my school days. I was a daydreamer back then and while I wouldn’t encourage Charlotte to daydream during class, I pointed out how lucky she was to be near the windows. Grandma Shelly ribbed me about Charlotte not needing to be cloud watching during class time. In hindsight, I may be the worst Grandma EVER. Thank God the child has other grandmas that will be a positive influence.

I asked Charlotte if doing the puppet show felt like when she would come to our flat and act out skits for me. Her face brightened and she said, “Sort of. But different.” I got the distinct impression that she liked that I had made the connection. It is delightful that Charlotte and Caleb go to an art magnet school where project-based learning is emphasized through the performing arts, writing, and art. They get an extra dose at home as Jeremy is talented at drawing. Both the grandkids have sketch books and enjoy drawing.

 A side benefit to Grandparents Day was the walking and stair climbing I got in today. While I have been moving around more in our new home, we slept on the sofa on the main level at Megan’s house last night (our old flat in the basement is colder).  My lower back was a bit tight starting out today. The activity helped to loosen me up.

I came home from Grandparents Day and took a short nap. All the grandparenting done wore me out! I loved every minute of it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

South Korean Dinner Out

Last night we had our monthly international dinner at Shinhwa Korean Steakhouse. It is an all you can eat grill and hotpot style restaurant....