Friday, May 31, 2024

Historical Day and A Neighborly Visit

A little after 4:00 pm today we got a text from one of our neighbors inviting us over to visit with them and another couple in the neighborhood. Joe had just finished working in the yard, and I was waiting for the jury to enter the Manhattan courtroom with their verdict. It only took a few minutes for the verdict and polling of each juror to take place. Having served on a criminal jury and the Yolo County Grand jury in the past, I think our jury system serves us well.

I also know how I felt as a juror in making sure I was following instructions and that I was looking only at the evidence before me. I cannot speak for others, only myself, when I say I felt an immense responsibility to make the "right decision” based on the evidence before us. In our case the defendant had five charges. We hung on two and acquitted on three charges. The prosecution’s case was poor. It did not help that the only “witness” to the crime was a drug addict and during her testimony she appeared to be on drugs. We deliberated for three and a half days. It would not have taken that long, and we ended up with the hung jury on two counts, except we had two jurors who refused to consider the evidence. They insisted that their ‘gut feeling” outweighed the evidence. One juror said, “ I know he must be guilty of something, or he would not have been arrested. They probably cannot tell us everything because then we would know he is guilty.”  This person could agree to the not guilty on three counts, but felt they needed to hold out on the other two counts. No amount of discussion, re-evaluation of facts could change her mind. The defendant was never re-tried on the two counts where we hung.

Based on my personal experience, the Manhattan jury did their job in convicting the defendant on all counts. I wish the trial could have been televised so that Americans had the opportunity to see and hear the evidence presented. I like to think that people watching would have understood our legal system better and come to understand that the facts speak for themselves. This case was never a political stunt or retaliation – it was about holding someone, who thought he was above the law, accountable. If the jury had found him not guilty, I would still support the jury’s decision. A person charged is innocent until found guilty.

Back to the neighbors! We joined them for snacks and sangria. We chatted awhile, getting to know more about each other, and then invited them over to check out our house. I did warn them that I write a daily blog and that I am a stalker (information junkie or researcher could also be used to describe my thirst for information). It seems I may not be the only 'stalker' in the neighborhood!

Joe and I enjoyed getting to know more of our neighbors today. All four of the adults have great energy!  I look forward to getting to know them better in the coming years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...