Sunday, May 19, 2024

It Didn't Stop Me

I do not know what to write today.

I looked up prompts and none of them inspired me. I tried this one, “Write about an item you have that isn’t expensive but means a lot to you.” All I could think of was our Cutco cheese knife. I decided it did not qualify as inexpensive.

I didn’t think you really wanted to read about a darn cheese knife.

I didn’t think you wanted to read that I am baking cheesy scalloped potatoes with pork chops for dinner. Well, my foodie friends might. I should probably admit that I found a recipe online and then I modified it. This is huge for me as my friends who know me well can attest. I always stick to the recipe on the first try. Then if I like it, I stick to the recipe pretty much forever. I will take risks in other areas of my life, just not with my cooking.

I could tell you for the umpteenth time how I love our new house, our neighbors, the quietness of the neighborhood. Who needs repetition?

I could tell you that the blocks for our retaining wall are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The construction people have been telling us the wall could not be built sooner because it was too wet. It rained over the past few days so not sure how that will all work. Now they have scheduled the blocks to be delivered so they must know what they are doing. Right?

I could tell you that Caleb will celebrate his tenth birthday next week on Wednesday and that Joe’s birthday is the week after on the 28th. Joe will be seventy-four for those keeping track.

I could tell you that sitting in the sunroom to write each day feels like I am on a perpetual vacation. I don’t think I have quite accepted this as my space. I am not staying at someone else’s house and borrowing the space for a brief stay. On the other hand, I feel like I should be taking my writing more seriously. Whatever THAT means or looks like. I mean come on, now I have a space that feels like my dream writing room. A dream I’ve carried in my heart and head since the age of ten.

I could tell you that I am happy writing about life as it happens or on topics, I find interesting.

One of my friends called today to ask me about grant writing. I had forgotten I even know anything about grants. She had remembered I worked for a grant writing firm (two different firms, actually) and so in her world I was the expert among her acquaintances. I surprised myself with what I recalled about the process. I did not write the grants, by the way. I did the bookkeeping and administrative functions along with proofreading and data processing. My friend wants to look into obtaining grants for her business. My background was education and non-profit grants.

I could tell you Joe is playing pool by himself. I hear the tap-tap-tap of the balls as he makes shots.

I could tell you that dinner smells amazing.

I may not have known what to write today, it didn’t stop me from writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Judging Judges

  I spent my day looking up information on Minnesota Supreme Court, Appellate Court, and District Curt judges that are up for re-election. R...