Monday, August 5, 2024

Comfort Food Mixed With Rain

 


I promised myself, yesterday, that I would rest today as I watched the rain come down ALL day. There were at least three times it came down in droves and other times just steady rain. During one of the times it was really pouring, Joe said to me, “I have never seen rain like this.” I may have been a little cranky when I replied, “You lived in California. It rarely rained like this for you to see it.”

Mostly he is fretting that all of his hard work on the area for sod will now be mud and part of the soil will have been washed away.

Joe did take the day off. Meanwhile, I decided we needed comfort food for dinner so made a meatloaf and then tackled homemade macaroni and cheese. If Joe says it tastes like Kraft (he did this the other day when we stopped at KFC, and he had a bite of my macaroni and cheese. I don’t know where he ever had Kraft macaroni and cheese – it did NOT taste like Kraft to me). The meatloaf and macaroni and cheese will be accompanied by  steamed zucchini and yellow crook necked squash from Uncle Dick and Aunt Sue’s garden.

I am not a complete novice in the kitchen; however, the recipe (The Pioneer Woman) I was using for the macaroni and cheese lists prep time of fifteen minutes. Maybe Ree Drummond only takes fifteen minutes. Cooking the sauce takes fifteen minutes. Never mind grating a pound of cheese (which Joe wandered into the kitchen at that moment and grated six ounces of cheese). Of course, prep time does not include pulling ingredients nor does it count clean-up. Anyway, I went into the kitchen at 4:30pm and popped the macaroni and cheese in the oven at 5:15pm. I know it will be worth it!

Prep time could have been worse, I might have decided to make my own pasta. Maybe another time. Now that I am retired, I do have time…

Going to go back to resting again…

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day Flew By

Today got away from me. It might be because I stayed in bed reading until 9:30 am. If I didn’t have a bladder, I might still be lounging. ...