Friday, August 9, 2024

I Voted and Daily Stuff with a Blast From the Past

 

Joe and I voted early today in the primary election for U.S. Senate and House of Representatives from Minnesota. Glad to check that off of our to-do list. We even received our ‘I voted” stickers. It is the only activity I know of that gives out stickers to adults.

This weekend both Rockford and Saint Michael have community celebrations scheduled. In Saint Michael, the Daze and Knights Festival starts tonight and lasts through Saturday. Looks like they have something for everyone. The location is .6 miles from us so we might be able to hear the music! Joe and I have already decided that we are going to enjoy staying home – no crowds for us. I hope the weather forecast holds! Highs in the low 70’s and sunny is the current prediction.

Rockford River Days also starts today and goes through Sunday.

Both events have beer gardens, parades, inflatables, food trucks and stands, and live music among other activities. Good, wholesome, family fun! Joe and I would have enjoyed taking our kids when they were younger. Maybe next year we will feel more settled and will venture out to one or both of the events.

Joe is out working in the yard (surprise!), and I have been cooking and tidying up around the house – I even found time to read for an hour.

We drove over to Megan’s this morning to pick up a ladder and take her a few items. She told me Charlotte and Caleb had been bickering all morning. They wanted to play together and then would start  bickering. I asked her if she wanted me to take one of them to my house for a while. She said, “No, take them both.” Unfortunately, we had no room in the car with the ladder. Joe ran a different ladder up to her house about an hour later and she told him they had things to get done so the kids couldn’t come to our house. I assume they stopped bickering.

It reminded me of when I was about their age and my brother, Kenny (known as Buddy back then), and I would pick at each other. Our ‘discipline’ was to sit back-to-back on the floor with our arms intertwined behind our backs. After some amount of time (it felt like forever so it was probably 5 or 10 minutes), we would be released if we told the other one, we were sorry for treating them the way we did. Huh, like I was ever really sorry – I just wanted to get on with my life.

Look how we turned out!

About 1959 (I would be three and he would be two)
Megan and Me on left in 1992 and Kenny in 1992 
(You can do the math to get our ages)
Kenny and me September 2019 (wish it was a clearer photo).







No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...