Friday, August 16, 2024

Phobias

Writing Prompt: What are you most phobic about?

I have two things I am most phobic about. The first is cleanliness in the kitchen – of both the workspace and the cook. If I see someone licking their fingers or double dipping a spoon in the food they are preparing for others, I get squeamish and struggle to eat the food.

I know this comes from my days as a food server in my teens. I wash my hands often while cooking and do not double dip – which means I may go through two or three spoons before getting the right flavor profile. Over the years I have seen cats jump on counters and lick the butter. The same butter is then served at the meal. No bread and butter for me.

Potlucks are a definite no for me as well. I attend events for  socialization and will eat only what I bring unless the items are store bought or I know the cooking ‘habits’ of the preparer.

The second thing I am phobic about is tracking our money. I balance my credit card and bank accounts almost every day. Sometimes I will skip a day or two if there is no activity. Our family budget is projected for a year out which helps ease my anxiety about money in general and allows me to be okay with the occasional splurge. I also hate to pay interest or fees of any kind so will not buy on credit unless I know I can minimize interest.

When we bought our Subaru in 2021, I paid it off in four months and paid less than $20.00 interest total. The only exception to the interest paying is on our small mortgage. I take immense pleasure in making extra principal payments on the mortgage whenever it is possible so that we can be mortgage free in the next five years (instead of 15 years).

Credit cards are used for purchases only when there is no fee associated with use of the card, we know we can pay the balance due in full every month, and the credit card company gives rebates.

Are you phobic about anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Day 632 of My Daily Writing Journey

  When I decided to write everyday after retiring from my business career, I thought I might be okay with trying it for a year to see if I c...